I'm a little fuzzy on exactly when that stopped, but it did. Not that I suddenly started buying $300 handbags every time I turned around, but I have been making a lot more impulse purchases (especially at the thrift store), and not keeping track of exactly how much I've been spending.
For this upcoming Fall and Winter, I've finally decided to join Jessica, Meg, and Rachelle in embracing the French Wardrobe Challenge. Hopefully I can start making smarter purchases and work towards curating my perfect closet. If you aren't familiar with the concept, you can purchase as many basic pieces as you need to fill gaps in your wardrobe, along with five standout pieces for the six month duration.
- Quality over quantity.
- Basics don’t count.
- Accessories don’t count, unless you’re spending a lot more than usual.
- Socks and underwear don’t count.
- Shoes do count.
- The perfect striped shirt (I like the one I have, but it's starting to look worn out)
- Tank tops in black, grey and white (I'd like them in silk or something equally nice)
- Sweaters in black, grey and white (Cotton and acrylic blends need to be replaced with merino wool or cashmere)
- Winter coat (I don't have a black coat, or a down coat, so it's something to consider)
- Black pumps
- Red pumps
- Ankle boots
- Black ballet flats
- Sneakers (I should probably get actual athletic sneakers, since I don't have any, but I'd rather get some white Converse. My sister just got the 'dainty ox' and I love them, they don't make me feel like Bigfoot.)
*This is my own personal list, adapted from the 'official' one to remind me of the things I do need to purchase. Additions to the list are at my discretion as they arise.
I'm also giving myself a budget of $500, and will be posting updates on my purchases and progress each month. Hopefully I can rise to the challenge, and in the meantime, savor what will likely be my last graphic tee purchase for the next six months, because no matter how fun they are, I know I will not be including one in my five!
Graphic Tee Old Navy
Striped Shorts Old Navy similar
Sandals "Keira" Trask via in.d giveaway
Brown Leather Tote Hobo via ebay similar
Anchor Belt ASOS
Anchor Bracelet Knotical Knovelites
Shell Bracelet The Cavernous Jewelry Box similar
Gold Bracelets The Cavernous Jewelry Box
Thin Gold Rings Etsy via Sweet Olive Jewelry
Sunglasses "Bondi" c/o Hobie Polarized
Nail Color "Coral Bikini" Avon